Sent: Fri 10/18/13 7:57 PM
OR driver card headed to the Nov 2014 ballot http://bit.ly/1bFLTVf Do you agree that it 'barely qualified for the ballot'?
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jeff Kropf
Date: Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Subject: Fwd: Need help with this asap!
Can send out to OLC tonight ?
I really need your help tonight! We have got to get the troops fired up to respond to this crappy and misleading article on the illegal alien drivers license referral qualifying for the ballot.
Please read the story and then my comments below that I posted online in reader comments to understand why we need as many people as possible to push back tonight in the reader comments section at the bottom of the story.
We want to focus on the fact that the reporter says it barely qualified when we had a validity rate of 93.5% in the first 1000 name sample, which should have produced over 66,000 valid signatures, not 58,000 as the story says. The other main point is that the Secretary of State just makes up a number to automatically throw out of the 1000 names before they begin verifying those that are left. This makes it almost impossible to get on the ballot as it just an artificial barrier to make it harder for citizens to get something before the people to vote on.
Can you please send this out to your email lists? We need as many as possible to get on this immediately tonight, plus we need to Facebook and tweet it out also.
Thanks so much.
I am astonished that the Oregonian reporter used such a misleading sentenc saying 'the measure barely qualified' when in fact the first 1000 name sample had a unusually high validity rate of 93.5%. (The first version of this story did not include that very important fact and the reporter only included it after being called out on it by email). It is unusual to make the ballot on the first 1000 signature sample when you consider that the Secretary of State arbitrarily throws out 9.4% of the signatures right off the top, without verifying whether they are valid or not. Then they actually verify the names that are left, adding those that do not qualify (6.5% in this case) to the arbitrary 9.4% rate for a total of 15.9%, deducted from 100% thereby meeting the 84% threshold. Under
these draconian conditions, I am amazed that any measure qualifies for the ballot under any circumstances. To say it barely qualified is a real stretch when you look at the truth as I have just articulated, not to mention that the
entire list of 71,000 names was not verified as the article says. ONLY THE FIRST 1000 WERE VERIFIED and not the total number turned in. I reality, this measure likely had a total of 66,000 names that qualified if they were all verified, which is hardly 'barely qualifying' in my humble opinion.