Now Available Online
The League has created “Model Rules of Procedure for Council Meetings” for cities to use as a starting point in crafting their own procedural rules.
This model has 11 chapters, covering the following topics:
• General governance;
• The adoption of ordinances and resolutions;
• Land use hearings;
• Processes involved in: meetings, debate, public comment, and voting;
• Keeping and retaining minutes;
• Ethics and decorum;
• Interactions between councilors and the city staff/attorney;
• Censure or removal from office; and
• Process for amending or repealing council rules.
The “Model Rules of Procedure for Council Meetings” is available here, on the League's website in
the Library section of the Publications tab and in the A-Z Index under “Meetings, Council.”
Contact: Patty Mulvihill, Acting General Counsel – firstname.lastname@example.org