There will be a peaceful, limited and orderly “Tax Protest” at North Bend City Hall & then at Bandon City Hall during their public meetings on November 7th.
This is not a traditional protest, but more of a filibuster by the people. We need concerned citizens to tell these governing bodies, that they need to stop increasing the debt and size of their Urban Renewal Agencies.
People need to speak up during the public comment section of the meeting.
Please be orderly, polite and respectful. Speak clearly and succinctly.
· Nov. 7, 4:30 p.m., the council will hear public comment on prioritizing urban renewal projects at its regularly scheduled work session in the council chambers in North Bend City Hall. They will also discuss increasing the urban renewal boundary. www.northbendcity.org City Hall 835 California Street, North Bend, OR 97459 Read more: North Bend looks to the future
· Nov. 7, 7:00 p.m., the council will hear public comment during its public comment section of the regularly scheduled City Council meeting in the Bandon City Hall. The public will get 3 minutes to comment and that is when we should stand up to speak out in single file. www.ci.bandon.or.us City Hall on Hwy, 101 in Bandon
IMPORTANT POINTS TO REMEMBER
---uses tax dollars designated for other taxing districts that provide for basic services, such as schools, the community college, hospitals, fire departments, and law enforcement
---causes other taxing districts to raise property taxes to cover the money drained by Urban Renewal.
---programs have little to no oversight, and those funds have been notoriously misused by politicians.
--- projects built by Urban Renewal funding cannot be maintained by Urban Renewal money and those facilities will become the financial obligation of the state or be put into another taxing district, or they will have to create an entirely new taxing district, which either way, it will eat up more of the Property Tax Pie.
--- affects every property taxpayer in the county, yet the majority of those people never get to vote for the Urban Renewal Boards, making this a form of “Taxation Without Representation.”
---is a form of corporate welfare, because it takes money from the tax payer and puts that money directly into the hands of corporations and wealthy developers.
--- creates aberrations in the economy for local businesses that cannot qualify to receive Urban Renewal funding or who chose not to take the money for moral reasons.
---distorts the marketplace and inflates prices on products and services for businesses outside the Urban Renewal area’s and that cost is passed onto consumers.
---creates an economic environment where businesses and developers expect to receive Urban Renewal money to do business or develop in the Urban Renewal area.
--- can cause economic bubbles in local real estate markets by unnaturally inflating the assessed value of property within or near a redevelopment areas, which will increase the property taxes paid for by the taxpayer.
---takes credit for developing an area when that development may have taken place anyways in another area at another time, but it would have been developed according to consumer demands and not government mandate, and using private investment , not tax dollars.
Money Taken by North Bend’s Urban Renewal Agency FYE 2010-2011
1. COOS COUNTY-4H/EXTENSION 2,071.60
2. LIBRARY SVS 16,999.26
3. COOS COUNTY 25,224.72
4. CITY OF NORTH BEND 144,402.35
5. SOUTH COAST ESD 10,297.05
6. NORTH BEND SCHOOL #13 97,193.80
7. SOUTHWESTERN COLLEGE 16,389.97
8. PORT OF COOS BAY 14,257.45
9. COOS COUNTY AIRPORT 5,605.49
Population of North Bend 9533 =$34.87 per person 332,441.69
Money Taken by Bandon’s Urban Renewal Area #1 FYE 2010-2011
1. 4H/EXTENSION 2,439.82
2. COOS COUNTY AIRPORT 6,599.52
3. PORT OF BANDON 8,959.36
4. SOUTH COAST ESD 12,199.12
5. CITY OF BANDON 12,599.09
6. SOUTHWESTERN COLLEGE 19,318.60
7. LIBRARY SVS 20,078.55
8. SO COOS GENERAL HOSPITAL 24,518.23
9. COOS COUNTY 29,757.86
BANDON SCHOOL #54 109,472.09
Total Amount Taken 245,942.24
Money Taken by Bandon’s Urban Renewal Agency Area #2 FYE 2010-2011
1. COOS COUNTY-4H/EXTENSION 1,239.91
2. COOS COUNTY-LIBRARY SVS 10,399.24
3. COOS COUNTY 15,438.87
4. CITY OF BANDON 6,519.52
5. CITY OF BANDON-LOCAL OPTION RATE 12,079.12
6. SOUTH COAST ESD 6,319.54
7. BANDON SCHOOL #54 56,795.85
8. SOUTHWESTERN COLLEGE 10,039.27
9. PORT OF BANDON 4,639.66
10. COOS COUNTY AIRPORT 3,399.75
11. SO COOS GENERAL HOSPITAL 12,719.07
Total Amount Taken 139,589.80
Population of Bandon 3300=$116.83 per person 385,532.04
For more information contact:
P.S. I have 5 seats remaining in my van for Bandon people who want to carpool from Bandon to North Bend for the first meeting, then carpool back from North Bend to Bandon for the second meeting.